Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reminders

Should we ever "forget" where we are, there are always reminders that we are near the capitol of the United States, with government and military facilities all around. This morning was one of those days.


Hi, Dan here. My office in Arlington is very near the Iwo Jima Marine Corp Memorial. As I pull off the highway and wind my way around the off ramp, I can glimpse the statue every day if I wanted to. But as time goes by, I find that the "awe" and "wonder" of this magnificent sight fades into regularity. I admit that I don't always look for it anymore.


Today, though, as a was winding up the off ramp, I caught a glimpse of some movement and activity on the grounds around the memorial. It appeared to be some sort of military marching group. After I parked in the garage at work, I decided to go check it out. When I arrived I was able to see that the seating area was set up for some sort of ceremony and a Marine Corps Marching unit and band were rehearsing for a performance that was yet to come. I was treated to a short bit of marching music (including the piece that is used in the credits for the movie "A Few Good Men") and precision marching and rifle drills.


With only my phone-cam available, I couldn't get very good shots, but here is one, anyway.






It was a great way to start my day and to remember, and appreciate, the our US Armed Services.

No comments: